GLENDALE, California – Glendale Water & Power is expecting high peak demand for electricity over the next couple of days during the excessive heat wave. The utility wants to assure its customers that it has enough power resources to meet Glendale’s needs. Though GWP does not anticipate any shortages, we want to urge our customers to do their part to conserve energy so that more power is available for our neighbors that may not be fortunate enough to have their own utility. The crucial time for conservation is the peak demand hours of 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Energy saving tips are available on our website www.GlendaleWaterAndPower.com along with information for implementing more long term energy savings solutions through our Public Benefit Programs.
Below are some energy conservation tips customers can immediately take advantage of to stay cool, keep their electricity bills low and reduce the strain on the electrical grid:
• Keep all windows and doors shut
• Set the HVAC thermostat at 78°F when home, and higher when not at home
• Turn off unnecessary lights and appliances
• Unplug power strips that have phone chargers or appliances with timers plugged in
• Keep your curtains drawn and window shades down to block out the sun
• Close vents and doors to rooms not in use. (But be sure not to close more than 25% of the vents in your home.)
• Use compact fluorescent light bulbs, they generate a lot less heat than ordinary light bulbs and conserve energy
• Check caulking and weather stripping around all doors, windows and close your fireplace damper so that the cool air from your home isn’t escaping
• Use major appliances early in the day, or later at night
Customers can also participate in many of GWP public benefit programs to help them conserve more energy. The Smart Home Energy & Water Saving Survey program provides customers a free in-home survey. We will check your home for air leaks, install free compact fluorescent light bulbs wherever necessary, and provide more long-term energy saving tips. Another is our Smart Home AC Tune Up and Duct Sealing program. This low cost air conditioning tune up and duct sealing services can help reduce air conditioning costs. Single-family residential customers can also take advantage of our Tree Power program. We provide up to three free semi-mature shade trees for you to plant.
To learn more about how you can help save energy this summer, and how our Public Benefit Programs can help, calls us at 818-548-3300 or visit our Web site at www.glendalewaterandpower.com. We have enough power for Glendale, so let’s do our part to see that our neighbors have enough power to get through the summer as well.